Bristol Parks, Recreation, Youth and Community Services
Skip to nav
Learn to Swim Rockwell Park Pool- Summer (Weekdays)
This program is currently unavailable. Click here to view all of our current programs.
Program Description: Swimming lessons are an essential part of a child's education. Being able to swim properly increases confidence which makes time in the water an enjoyable and safe experience. In addition, swimming is a healthy, total fitness activity that lasts a lifetime. Our Learn to Swim programs are taught by certified American Red Cross Water Safety Instructors with an enthusiasm and dedication to helping children and adults achieve their swimming goals.
Learn to Swim Rockwell Park Pool- Summer (Weekdays) consists of Parent and Child (PCA), Preschool Aquatics (PSA) 1-3, Learn to swim (LTS) 1-2.
There are 4 sessions of weekday lessons:
Session 1: 6/24/23-7/7/23 (There will be classes July 4th)
Session 2: 7/10/23-7/21/23
Session 3: 7/24/23-8/4/23
Session 4: 8/7/23-8/18/23
To determine proper class placement please review the level descriptions below and/or contact the DMAC front desk (860) 584-3837 with any questions.
Goggles strongly recommended, though we do not allow those that have cover the nose.
Pre-School Class Descriptions
All pre-school aquatics classes are intended for children 3-6 years old.
- (PCA 1) Parent & Child Aquatics 1: This class is for parents with children ages 6 months to 3 years. This is a water introduction class where comfort in the water and submerging are taught in a low pressure and fun environment. This class teaches parents proper holding techniques for their children while teaching them water skills. Water experimentation, blowing bubbles, and basic skills are instructed through songs and activities.
- (PSA 1) Pre-school Aquatics Level 1: This class teaches children the most elementary aquatic skills. They continue to develop safe practices around the water.
- (PSA 2) Pre-school Aquatics Level 2: This class teaches independent aquatic locomotion skills. Children continue to explore simultaneous and alternating arm and leg actions on the front and back to gain more proficiency for future strokes.
- (PSA 3) Pre-school Aquatics Level 3: This class teaches children to perform their skills independently. They are taught to improve coordination of combined arm and leg actions and alternating arm and leg actions.
Learn-to-Swim (LTS) Class Descriptions
Students should graduate Kindergarten before moving up to a Learn to Swim class
- (LTS 1) Level 1 Beginner: Introduction to Water Skills- Children learn breath control, buoyancy on the front and back, alternating arm and leg action and general water safety rules.
- (LTS 2) Level 2 Beginner: Fundamental Aquatic Skills- Underwater swimming, treading water, swimming in different positions and general water safety are the main focus.
Please try and arrive 15 minutes prior to start of class. For best progression it is recommended that children attend every class if possible.
Additional Forms and Files: