Bristol Parks, Recreation, Youth and Community Services
Skip to nav
Learn to Swim DMAC-Summer (Weekdays)
This program is currently unavailable. Click here to view all of our current programs.
Please note that there will not be class on July 4, 2023.
Program Description: Swimming lessons are an essential part of a child's education. Being able to swim properly increases confidence which makes time in the water an enjoyable and safe experience. In addition, swimming is a healthy, total fitness activity that lasts a lifetime. Our Learn to Swim programs are taught by certified American Red Cross Water Safety Instructors with an enthusiasm and dedication to helping children and adults achieve their swimming goals.
Learn to Swim DMAC Summer weekday lessons ar learn to swim 3-6.
There are 3 sessions of weekday lessons:
Session 1: 6/24/23-7/7/23 (There will NOT be classes July 4th)
Session 2: 7/10/23-7/21/23
Session 3: 7/24/23-8/4/23
To determine proper class placement please review the level descriptions below and/or contact the DMAC front desk (860) 584-3837 with any questions.
Goggles strongly recommended, though we do not allow those that have cover the nose.
Learn-to-Swim (LTS) Class Descriptions
Students should graduate Kindergarten before moving up to a Learn to Swim class
- (LTS 3) Level 3 Intermediate: Stroke Development- Head first entries, rotary breathing, changing directions, breaststroke kick, elementary backstroke and scissor kicks are introduced.
- (LTS 4) Level 4 Intermediate: Stroke Improvement- Diving, surface diving, turns, sidestroke, breaststroke, and butterfly are taught.
- (LTS 5) Level 5 Advanced: Stroke Refinement- Head first surface dives, flip turns, sculling and, shallow-angle diving skills are taught. All other skills are refined.
- (LTS 6) Level 6 Advanced: There are three options: (All options complete numerous laps to continue to work on developing stroke technique and endurance.)
1. Personal Water Safety- Focuses on endurance and safety in and around the water in addition to the core skills.
2. Fundamentals of Diving- Focuses on deck and springboard diving in addition to the core skills.
3. Fitness Swimmer- Focuses on endurance as it pertains to using the water as a medium for exercise in addition to the core skills.
Please try and arrive 15 minutes prior to start of class. For best progression it is recommended that children attend every class if possible.
Additional Forms and Files: